Friday, December 21, 2007

Diggers and Xmas Debauchery


Just when you've got over the last weekend the next one is already around the corner to hammer a few more nails into your coffin. We're coming ever closer to that final nail of new years eve but before that happens there is still one more weekend to go.

But first off, last weekend. The Manchester Warehouse Project rocked my socks last Friday night. I'm sad that I only got to see the venue once this year as I think it was a big improvement on the old Boddingtons factory. The Piccadily station location was more intimate and held a better sound. OK when it was busy it was slightly annoying, but these days busy tends to equate to a better atmosphere and you're either on it with the rest or miserable at the sides. My only advice is to just go with the flow, obviously you can consume a variety of substances to ease you into the mood, say like 6 cans of Red Stripe on a long train journey. That worked a treat for me, plus the beer jacket kept me warm... Its cold up north, which I found out once again. On arrival to the venue, Mr Zabiela didnt really seem to be feeling the cold, his blend of tech house and electronic noises with a dash of efx wizardry (note only a dash) kept the man bouncing and the rammed to the rafters warehouse. The man like Sasha followed and i must say i was impressed. There's so much talk of how the man has lost it and his ableton thing is boring, but the other Friday i really enjoyed his set. However, i am a relatively young clubber, so missed the Sasha late 90's golden era. Which on the flip side might be a good thing as I had no pre-conceptions of what he should be like, I just took the set for what it was. The man like, moved effortlessly through epic prog rollers through to dark dirty electronic grooves and even threw in a smattering of techno near the end. It kept me moving until the end and many other people. The only downside to the whole night was having to get home. It took me 4 hours through a combination of taxis, trains and tube. One thing i dont understand is, who in their right minds would want to go to Milton Keynes, Coventry and Watford? There is no need for my train to stop at these places! Well that's what I was thinking after 2 hours into my journey at 11am in the morning feeling extremely on the edge of oblivion.

Saturday brought the delight of Fabric and a little Chilean. Unfortunately, the little Chilean had some family problems so couldn't make it. Hope everything is alright... But I was really disappointed that Luciano couldn't make an appearance. I was really looking forward to hearing his current standard set of Subliminal back catalog records, Freaks come out and that rose rouge remix. I know his sets haven't changed much since May, but I'm still yet to hear it on a sound system like Fabric's. I caught a bit at Wild in the Country, but the flooded tent, torrential rain, lack of crowd, early set time and quiet sound system didn't really do it the greatest of justice. I guess I'll just have to hold on a few more months :o( . Not to worry as Amé and Adam Beyer were still playing, which doesn't make it a complete lost cause. Far from it actually. Amé played some lavish deep sounds in room 3 whilst Adam Beyer and the real "Swedish Mafia" played some stern techno that would send Angello and co back under their electro gash rock. Some good music all around, however the spirit seemed a bit lacking and flat at times. However like I stated before you're either going with the flow or miserable at the sides and after my miserable train journey back during the morning I might have fallen into the latter category.

Now that's all behind me, its time to talk about this weekend. And once again I'm going to talk about what seems like my Siamese twin separated at birth. That's right, I'm heading to Fabric..... again.... But all for good reason, as its part two of London's prog grandmaster's series. Well that's what I'm calling it. John Digweed rolls into town so soon after Sasha just departed. The Dougal from Magic Roundabout look-a-like (see picture above, i think its only a hair thing really..) will be commanding Room1 this weekend, expect some relentless epic prog, tech house. Martinez are in support and should entertain with their brand of intertwined epic dark melodies which plod along in a nice groove. Just what the doctor ordered, before a week of heavy eating, Christmas songs and mince pies.

Happy Christmas!

p.s Canvas for NYE seems like a safe bet this year. Carl Craig, Dixon (current living legend in my eyes), Andrew Weatherhall, Boys Noize and Jo Jo De Freq. What more could you ask for? Did i forget to mention they're knocking the thing down soon after!? Click Here for more info..

No comments: